- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 7 cups soup + 12 breadsticks
This savory summer soup blends the sun-ripened flavor of fresh tomatoes with the char and depth of fire-roasted canned tomatoes. Sweet corn kernels and hearty navy beans add a delicious texture to the velvety base, making it filling enough to keep you satisfied for hours afterward. Serve this soup hot or chilled with a drizzle of homemade pesto on top—and don’t forget to dunk the twisty breadsticks!
By Nancy Macklin,
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 12 oz. refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough or 1 recipe Homemade Oil-Free Pizza Dough
- 1 recipe Homemade Vegan Pesto Sauce
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5-oz. cans no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped cooked sweet potato
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added navy beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, husks and silks removed, kernels cut off cob (1 cup)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. For breadsticks, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Sprinkle flour on a work surface. On the work surface, roll pizza dough to a 12-inch square. Spread ½ cup Homemade Vegan Pesto Sauce over dough. Cut into 12 strips. Twist strips; place on prepared pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a large pot cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic over medium 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and sweet potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until it is mostly smooth with some chunks. Stir in beans, corn, and the remaining pesto sauce; heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with breadsticks.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.