- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 9 cups
- ½ of a 16-oz. pkg. tube-style polenta
- 1 8-oz. pkg. fresh cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped (see tip in recipe intro)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon date paste
- 1 tablespoon no-salt-added almond butter
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups frozen fire-roasted corn
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings, such as toasted pepitas, chopped fresh cilantro, and/or julienne-cut jicama
- Preheat broiler. For croutons, cut polenta into ½-inch cubes. Place polenta in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned, tossing once. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large pot cook the next five ingredients (through garlic) over medium 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the next seven ingredients (through cinnamon); cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the next six ingredients (through corn). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 30 to 40 minutes to blend flavors.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Top servings with croutons and, if desired, pepitas, cilantro, and jicama.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.