- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 cups
- print/save recipe
This easy Instant Pot stew calls for hulled barley, which provides more of the whole grain than pearled barley. Apart from its nutritional benefits, hulled barley also delivers a meatier texture and satisfying mouthfeel that will satiate even the most staunch carnivore. Savory mushrooms and starchy sweet potatoes add extra heft while tender pearl onions provide pops of pleasant sweetness throughout this hearty beef-like stew. The broth bursts with notes of paprika, thyme, and sage to create a mouthwatering bouquet of aromas that will infuse your kitchen with tantalizing smells as you cook. Top everything off with crunchy walnuts and fresh parsley for a recipe that would get a 10/10 in a comfort-food competition.
For more hearty winter soup recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups halved or quartered fresh cremini mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped sweet potatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pearl onions
- 1½ cups ½-inch pieces celery
- 1 cup dry hulled barley
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- ¼ cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or fresh thyme leaves
- In a 6-quart electric multicooker combine the first 13 ingredients (through sage). Lock lid in place; set pressure valve to sealing. Set cooker on high pressure to cook 20 minutes. Let stand to release pressure naturally (about 15 minutes). Carefully release any remaining pressure. Open lid carefully.
- Season stew with pepper. Top servings with walnuts and parsley.