- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 cups
- print/save recipe
French lentils are smaller than traditional brown lentils and hold their “bite” after being simmered in the savory broth of this veggie-packed stew. Parsnips, carrots, and celery join forces to form a tasty base that invites in all the best fall produce. Umami-rich mushrooms are sauteéd with juicy tomatoes and briney capers before being added to the pot and infusing everything with finger-licking-good flavor. Garnish each serving with fresh parsley and serve with whole grain crispbread crackers for dunking!
Fore more lentil recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Lentil Burger Lettuce Wraps
- Harvest Vegetable Casserole with Lentils and Gravy
- Vegan Stuffed Peppers with Lentils and Herbed Rice
- Or take a look at our full roundup of lentil recipes.
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium parsnips, narrow ends halved lengthwise and sliced, wide ends quartered lengthwise and sliced (2⅓ cups)
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced (1 cup)
- 1 cup dry French green lentils or black beluga lentils
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs de Provence, crushed
- 8 oz. fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 14.5-oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan cook shallots and celery over medium 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth, parsnips, carrots, lentils, and herbs de Provence. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook mushrooms in vinegar over medium high 8 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Stir mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and capers into pan; cook until heated through. Season with salt.
- Top servings with freshly cracked black pepper and chopped fresh parsley.