This “no-tuna” salad gets extra tang and flavor from pickles and capers. Serve between two slices of your favorite hearty bread for a simple yet satisfying meal.
1. Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork, leaving only a few beans whole.
2. Add tahini, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, celery, pickle, capers, salt and pepper, and sunflower seeds (if using) to mixing bowl. Mix to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
3. Toast bread if desired, and prepare any other desired sandwich toppings (such as lettuce, tomato, and onion).
4. Scoop a healthy amount of the chickpea mixture (about ½ cup) onto one slice of bread, add desired toppings and top with second slice of bread. Repeat for additional sandwiches.
Note: Mixture will keep covered in refrigerator for 4-5 days, making it great for quick, weekday lunches.
For the salad:
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced pickle
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and loosely chopped
- Healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- Romaine lettuce
- Tomato, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious, plant-based meals the whole family will enjoy.