- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 sandwiches
- print/save recipe
In this vegan version of a tuna salad sandwich, the savory chickpea filling gets extra tang from pickles, red onion, and capers. Mayonnaise is replaced by a creamy mixture of tahini and Dijon mustard to deliver crave-worthy flavor while diced celery and pickles give it a tasty crunch. Serve between two slices of your favorite whole wheat bread for a simple yet satisfying meal. The mixture will keep well covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, which makes it great for quick, weekday lunches!
For more vegan casserole recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
For the salad:
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced pickle
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and loosely chopped
- Healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- Romaine lettuce
- Tomato, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork, leaving only a few beans whole.
- Add tahini, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, celery, pickle, capers, salt and pepper, and sunflower seeds (if using) to mixing bowl. Mix to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toast bread if desired, and prepare any other desired sandwich toppings (such as lettuce, tomato, and onion).
- Scoop a healthy amount of the chickpea mixture (about ½ cup) onto one slice of bread, add desired toppings and top with second slice of bread. Repeat for additional sandwiches.