- Ready In:
- 12 tacos
Celebrate Taco Tuesday by building your own taco bar with this quick and easy recipe. The filling—a combination of lentils, refried beans, and seasonings—takes only about 20 minutes to make, and while it’s simmering, you can set the table with all your favorite taco fixings. Leftovers make a great next-day lunch rolled into tortillas or piled onto a big tossed salad. Prep tip: Wear gloves and be careful not to rub your face when working with fresh hot chiles, which contain a spicy, burning compound that can stick to your skin.
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- ½ fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked brown lentils or two (15-ounce) cans lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can fat-free vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
- Toppings such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, red onion, avocado, fresh cilantro, and salsa or taco sauce
- Combine the onions, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic in a large skillet. Cook over high heat until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the lentils, refried beans, stock, and taco seasoning mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly thick, adding up to 1 cup more stock to reach the desired consistency.
- Serve the lentil mixture in tortillas with toppings.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.