- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 tacos (4 cups filling)
- print/save recipe
These spicy vegan tacos feature jackfruit, a common ingredient in Indian cuisine. Green (unripe) jackfruit is popular with plant-based cooks because of its meat-like texture and ability to absorb other flavors. Here, it soaks up a spicy chipotle sauce for a flavorful taco filling that also features diced potatoes. (If you don’t have jackfruit, just skip it and double the amount of potatoes in the recipe.)
Chipotle Jackfruit Filling
- 1 medium potato, cut into ½-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, cut into ¼-inch dice (2 cups)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice (1½ cups)
- 1 (14-ounce) can water-packed jackfruit, drained and rinsed (1½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, cut into ½-inch dice (1 cup)
- 2 stalks scallions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 avocado, cut into ¾-inch dice
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, sauté the potatoes, onions, and garlic in ¼ cup water for 10 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Add the diced tomatoes, jackfruit, taco seasoning, paprika, and chipotle in adobo sauce, and continue cooking for 10 minutes until the juice from the tomatoes is absorbed.
- Using the back of the spatula, break the jackfruit into smaller pieces. Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice.
- Place half of the tortillas in a stack on a heated non-stick skillet. Cook each side of the stack on medium-low heat, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the tortillas in the middle are heated through. Wrap warmed tortillas in a damp cloth to keep warm. Repeat with remaining tortillas. (Alternatively, wrap tortillas in a big piece of aluminum foil lined with damp paper towels, and warm in a 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.)
- To assemble the tacos, place the filling in the center of each, and top with the lettuce, tomatoes, scallions, and avocado, and serve immediately.