- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 24 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1 yellow onion, cut into ½-inch dice (2 cups)
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (8 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup oat flour
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine thinly sliced onion, flaxseed, salt, and pepper. Mix well to coat onions; let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spread onions on prepared sheet and bake 15 minutes until lightly brown around the edges. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place green beans in a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to just below basket. Bring to boiling. Steam, covered, about 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and transfer beans to a 2½-qt. baking dish.
- To make gravy, combine diced onion, mushrooms, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes or until onions start to turn translucent. The mushrooms will release enough liquid to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, broth, vinegar, and Italian seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Add broth mixture to mushroom mixture; cook for 3 to 5 minutes more, or until gravy thickens.
- Transfer half of gravy to a blender. Purée until smooth. Return puréed mixture to saucepan and stir well.
- Pour the gravy over the green beans in the casserole dish. Scatter browned onions and almonds over the top. Bake about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.