- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 waffle sandwiches
In this inventive twist on breakfast for dinner, a seasoned mix of shredded potatoes and rice flour transforms into tender-crisp waffles that are used as the base for sandwiches packed full of fresh veggies. The Herbed Tofu Cream spread comes together quickly in a food processor and adds a delicious zesty flavor that will have you licking your fingers after the last bite.
Tip: If you want to shorten your shopping list for the Herbed Tofu Cream, omit the fresh thyme, oregano, and sage and use an additional 2 tablespoons each of scallions and chives.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 12 oz. package soft silken tofu
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup fresh chives
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, coarsely grated (8 cups)
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon regular or sodium-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 to 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- Hot sauce (optional)
- For Herbed Tofu Cream, in a food processor combine tofu, scallions, chives, parsley, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, thyme, oregano, sage, and garlic. Process until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer’s directions, using medium setting if available.
- Place grated potatoes in a fine-mesh sieve; rinse with cold water. Drain well. Return potatoes to the bowl. Add the next seven ingredients (through pepper) and the remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice. Mix well.
- To bake waffles, spoon ½ cup of the potato mixture into the waffle maker, spreading to 4 inches in diameter. Close lid; bake for 6 minutes. If the lid lifts easily after 6 minutes, the waffle is ready. If not, cook 30 seconds more. Using a wooden chopstick or silicone spatula, remove the waffle and place on a wire rack. (If desired, place in a 250°F oven to keep warm.) Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Spread Herbed Tofu Cream on four of the waffles. Top with sliced tomato, romaine, hot sauce (if desired), and the remaining four waffles.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.