- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 waffle sandwiches
- print/save recipe
In this inventive twist on breakfast for dinner, a seasoned mix of shredded potatoes and rice flour transforms into tender-crisp waffles that are used as the base for sandwiches packed full of fresh veggies. The Herbed Tofu Cream spread comes together quickly in a food processor and adds a delicious zesty flavor that will have you licking your fingers after the last bite.
Tip: If you want to shorten your shopping list for the Herbed Tofu Cream, omit the fresh thyme, oregano, and sage and use an additional 2 tablespoons each of scallions and chives.
- 1 12 oz. package soft silken tofu
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup fresh chives
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, coarsely grated (8 cups)
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon regular or sodium-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 to 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- Hot sauce (optional)
- For Herbed Tofu Cream, in a food processor combine tofu, scallions, chives, parsley, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, thyme, oregano, sage, and garlic. Process until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer’s directions, using medium setting if available.
- Place grated potatoes in a fine-mesh sieve; rinse with cold water. Drain well. Return potatoes to the bowl. Add the next seven ingredients (through pepper) and the remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice. Mix well.
- To bake waffles, spoon ½ cup of the potato mixture into the waffle maker, spreading to 4 inches in diameter. Close lid; bake for 6 minutes. If the lid lifts easily after 6 minutes, the waffle is ready. If not, cook 30 seconds more. Using a wooden chopstick or silicone spatula, remove the waffle and place on a wire rack. (If desired, place in a 250°F oven to keep warm.) Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Spread Herbed Tofu Cream on four of the waffles. Top with sliced tomato, romaine, hot sauce (if desired), and the remaining four waffles.