- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 sandwiches
- print/save recipe
A healthy homemade hummus, which features sauteed carrots and chopped fresh dill, delivers loads of flavor while helping to hold these fresh-and-hearty plant-based sandwiches together. The sliced pepperoncini add a tangy kick. If pepperoncini aren’t your thing, roasted red peppers would also be delicious here.
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices country-style multigrain bread, toasted
- 4 teaspoons toasted sunflower kernels
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup sliced pickled pepperoncini peppers, drained
- 2 cups fresh baby kale and/or baby spinach
- For veggie hummus, in a large skillet combine carrots, shallot, garlic, and ¼ cup water. Bring to simmering. Cover and cook on medium-low about 10 minutes or until carrots are tender. Transfer carrot mixture to a blender or food processor. Add chickpeas and lemon juice. Cover and blend or process until smooth, adding water 1 Tbsp. at a time to reach desired consistency. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Stir in dill and black pepper.
- Spread half of the bread slices with hummus. Top with sunflower kernels, cucumber, pepperoncinis, and kale. Top with the remaining bread slices.