- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 cups
This easy chowder is creamy without being too heavy. If you can’t find chestnuts, top with toasted pecans instead. Make this soup up to two days in advance and refrigerate it in an airtight container. Just before serving, heat in a saucepan over medium until warmed through and garnish with the parsley and chestnuts.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 2 leeks (white parts only), cut into ¼-inch pieces (2 cups)
- ½ small onion, diced (½ cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 medium potatoes (any variety), peeled and cut into ½-inch dice (2 lb.)
- 3½ to 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup roasted chestnuts, chopped
- In a large stock pot, cook leeks, onion, garlic, and ¼ cup of water over medium 10 minutes or until leeks and onion are tender, stirring frequently and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add potatoes, 3½ cups broth, the bay leaf, and thyme to stock pot. Bring to boiling; then reduce heat. Simmer over medium 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and thyme. Add the milk, vinegar, and nutritional yeast. Using a hand blender, or carefully transferring soup to a blender in batches, blend to a creamy texture. Add additional stock to thin to desired consistency. Return soup to pot if necessary. Heat over medium until warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and chestnuts just before serving.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.