- Prep-time: / Cook Time:
- Serves 4-6
This is another great meal because if I don’t have one ingredient, I know there’s an easy substitute in my fridge. This soup has changed over the years. Below is my current version. I serve this with warm bread and a simple salad or sautéed broccolini with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2-15 ounce cans white cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire roasted red tomatoes
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat small elbow macaroni, uncooked
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add ¼ cup broth and saute onion and carrot on medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining broth and water to large saucepan. Add beans and tomatoes.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- With a bean masher or a hand held blender push through the soup to create a thicker consistency, about 10 mashes or blends.
- Add pasta, cook for 2 minutes. Add the kale and cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.