- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 cups
Cashews are blended with dates and seasoned sautéed onions to create a luscious, full-bodied vegan curry sauce in this hearty, warmly spiced korma, which takes just 30 minutes to come together. Serve curry over whole grains such as brown rice or whole wheat vegan naan.
By Darshana Thacker,
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 2 dates (any variety), pitted
- 2 onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 small bay leaf
- 6 oz. fresh green beans, cut into ½-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 cup sliced carrots (¼-inch-thick slices)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Steamed grains or whole wheat naan
- In a small bowl combine cashews, dates, and ½ cup warm water. Let soak 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan combine the next six ingredients (through bay leaf). Cook over medium 7 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, place beans, carrots, and bell pepper in a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to saucepan to just below basket. Bring to boiling. Steam, covered, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Drain cashews and dates. Place in a blender. Add cooked onion mixture and the next four ingredients (through cayenne). Cover and blend to a paste, adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Pour paste into saucepan. Add 1 cup water. Bring to boiling. Add steamed vegetables and peas. Cook 3 to 5 minutes more or until peas are tender. Season with salt. Stir in lime juice. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over steamed grains or with naan.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.