- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 4
- print/save recipe
This thick and savory vegetable soup comes together in no time. It calls for Ras el Hanout, a classic North African spice blend with a rich aroma and deep flavor. Look for it in large supermarkets, or mix up your own spice blend using our recipe.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- ¾ cup chopped potato
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Ras el Hanout
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1¼ cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely snipped fresh mint
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Steamed grains (optional)
- In a large saucepan cook onions, potato, celery, and carrot in ¼ cup of water 10 minutes or until potato and carrot are tender, stirring occasionally and adding additional water, 1 to 2 tbsp at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add garlic, Ras el Hanout, and paprika. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- In a blender combine vegetable mixture and tomato sauce. Cover and blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to saucepan.
- Stir in zucchini, pasta, and 5 cups water. Cook 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in parsley and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, serve soup with steamed grains.