- Ready In:
- Makes 4½ cups
Preparing a batch of lentils from scratch allows you to simmer the legumes with aromatic vegetables so they soak up all their tasty goodness. This all-purpose vegan instant pot lentil recipe makes a nice hearty dinner for two people. It calls for a classic combination of onion, celery, carrot, and garlic as a base, then kicks the flavor up even more with tangy diced tomatoes. The result is an extremely versatile dish that can be served on its own or over grains (it is especially good with whole-wheat couscous), spooned into tortillas, served cold as a spread or dip, and even thinned with broth to make soup. Green lentils will hold their shape better than brown, and you could also use black (beluga) lentils here, too.
Recipe from cleanfooddirtygirl.com
By Molly Patrick,
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Set an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker on the sauté setting and allow it to heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently and adding water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to prevent sticking. Add the celery, carrot, and garlic; cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Press the cooker’s “Cancel” button, then stir in 3 cups of water plus the tomatoes and lentils.
- Lock the cooker’s lid in place, adjust the setting to “Manual,” and cook for 20 minutes. Let it stand to release pressure naturally, at least 10 minutes. If necessary, carefully open the steam vent to release any remaining pressure. Open lid carefully. Stir in the parsley, salt, and pepper.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.