- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 40 meatballs
Looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer for your next gathering? These vegan, plant-forward skewers featuring meatballs and orange slices are sure to do the trick. Present them on a platter with a tangy glaze for spooning or dipping.
Note that this recipe calls for cooked brown rice, so be sure to have that ready to go.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram or summer savory, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (reserve liquid) and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 5 orange slices, quartered
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- To make Cranberry Glaze, in a saucepan combine all Cranberry Glaze ingredients and ¼ cup water. Cook over medium about 10 minutes or until berries burst, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor. Cover and pulse until nearly smooth. If needed, thin with additional orange juice. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Preheat broiler. In a large nonstick skillet cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic over medium 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Stir in marjoram, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- In a food processor combine mushroom mixture, chickpeas, rice, and panko. Pulse until very finely ground but not smooth. Add 1 to 2 Tbsp. reserved chickpea liquid (aquafaba) if needed to moisten mixture. Let mixture stand 10 minutes. Form mixture into forty 1-inch balls. Arrange balls on a large baking sheet.
- Broil meatballs 4 to 6 inches from the heat about 10 minutes or until lightly browned and set, turning once.
- Thread 2 meatballs and an orange piece on each of 20 short skewers or long toothpicks. Place on a platter with Cranberry Glaze on the side. To transport, cover platter and place in an insulated carrier with a hot pack.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.