- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
- print/save recipe
Collards, like other dark, leafy greens, are members of the cabbage family. With their mild flavor and crisp-tender texture, they make a perfect slaw base. Crunchy bell peppers and tangy red onions add substance while a spicy citrus dressing brings it all together. Adjust the amount of hot sauce you use based on your spice tolerance. Eat this easy dish on its own for a light lunch or serve beside BBQ Tofu Wings.
- 1½ lb. collard greens
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped (optional)
- Nutritional yeast
- Red pepper flakes
- Remove stems from collard greens, then roll leaves into tight cylinders. Slice cylinders into thin ribbons. In a large bowl combine collards, bell pepper, and onion.
- In a small bowl whisk together orange juice and hot sauce. Pour dressing over collard mixture; toss to coat. Just before serving, if desired, add orange pieces. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and crushed red pepper.