- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 cups
Crispy curried lentils are a clever and unexpected addition to this show-stopping dish. The fragrant Indian spices pair perfectly with sweet plums and a zingy citrus vinaigrette to create a meal that’s light but filling. Top it all off with toasted walnuts (or pumpkin seeds, if you are allergic to nuts) and presto—you’ve got a crave-worthy salad ready to eat.
By Shelli McConnell,
- ⅔ cup dry yellow lentils (4 oz.), rinsed and sorted
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 fresh plums, halved and pitted
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 6-oz. package fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- In a medium saucepan combine lentils and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until lentils are tender; drain well. In an extra-large nonstick skillet combine lentils, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium- high about 10 minutes or until lentils are toasted and crisp, stirring frequently. (Lentils will stick at first but will release from the pan as they crisp.) Spread lentils on a baking sheet; let cool.
- For dressing, in a blender or food processor combine one of the plums, the orange juice, vinegar, and mustard. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Cut the remaining plums into wedges. In a bowl toss together spinach, plum wedges, and scallions. Add dressing; toss to coat. Arrange on plates. Top with lentils, parsley, and walnuts.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.