- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
Delicious, light, and easy to prepare, this vegan soba noodle salad gets its tasty crunch from fresh veggies cut into matchsticks. With a bright dressing of yuzu ponzu, rice vinegar, and spicy ginger, this Japanese-inspired dish is perfect to enjoy on warm evenings, and it travels well for take-along lunches. Soba noodles are made from buckwheat and have an earthy, slightly nutty flavor that plays well with acidic sauce.
Tip: Yuzu ponzu is a Japanese condiment made with soy sauce, vinegar, and citrusy yuzu juice. Some blends contain bonito (fish) flakes, so check the label. No yuzu ponzu? Substitute a blend of 2 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon each of tamari and lemon zest.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 3 tablespoons vegan yuzu ponzu, such as Marukan brand
- 3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 6 oz. dry soba noodles
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 cup matchstick-cut red or yellow bell pepper
- ½ of a bunch Japanese chives (garlic chives) or regular chives, cut into 2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- For dressing, in a large bowl whisk together yuzu ponzu, vinegar, ginger, and ¼ cup water.
- In a large pot of boiling water cook noodles according to package directions, adding carrots, bell pepper, and chives the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain. Transfer noodle mixture to bowl with dressing; toss to coat.
- Serve warm or chilled. If noodles seem dry, toss with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or vegetable broth before serving.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.