- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
- print/save recipe
This 25-minute meal can be made entirely in the microwave. Perfect for cooking in a hotel room or dorm room, this easy pasta primavera recipe only requires a handful of ingredients, a microwave, and less than 30 minutes. Tender carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, and tomato bring bursts of juicy flavor to the hearty pasta, which is sprinkled with savory Italian seasoning. A crunchy garnish of slivered almonds or pine nuts brings the perfect finishing touch to this quick and satisfying meal you can make on-the-go.
- 1 cup dry whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups ½-inch broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds or pine nuts
- In a microwave-safe bowl or microwave rice cooker combine pasta and 5 cups water. Microwave 5 minutes. Add carrots; microwave 3 minutes. Add broccoli and bell pepper; microwave 3 minutes more. Drain any excess water from bowl; keep warm.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl combine tomatoes, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Cover and microwave 5 minutes. Pour over pasta mixture. Season with salt and black pepper. Toss to combine. Garnish with nuts.