- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 10 cups
- print/save recipe
Hummus is a savvy shortcut for creamy-without-the-cream pasta, and lemon zest and fresh oregano add a touch of tanginess. This easy-to-make pasta is tasty chilled, too. Just give it a stir right before serving.
Tip: Oil-free hummus brands we like include Oasis Zero Fat Original Hommus, Roots Oil-Free Original Hummus, and Cedar’s Fat & Oil-Free Hummus. You can also make your own using our Oil-Free Hummus recipe.
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- ¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrot
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 oz. whole grain penne pasta
- 1 8-oz. container oil-free hummus (see tip in recipe intro)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh oregano, lemon wedges, and/or sliced Kalamata olives (optional)
- In a large skillet cook the first five ingredients (through garlic) over medium 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Stir in tomatoes; cook 1 to 2 minutes or just until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water. In a small bowl stir together hummus, lemon zest, lemon juice, and oregano. Add to pasta, tossing to coat. Add vegetables; toss to coat, adding reserved pasta water as needed to make creamy.
- Season with salt and black pepper. If desired, serve with additional fresh oregano, lemon wedges, and/or olives.