- Ready In:
- Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 (28-ounce) can salt-free diced tomatoes or tomato purée
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup black beluga lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup packed fresh basil, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic powder and onion powder
- Splash of balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
Pressure Cooker Method
- Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, lentils, water, onions, garlic, carrots, Italian and poultry seasonings, pepper flakes, and ¼ cup chopped basil into a pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After releasing pressure, mix well, then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste. Finish with the remaining fresh basil and a splash of balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- If you’d prefer a smoother consistency, transfer 2 to 3 cups of the sauce to a blender with a tight-fitting lid covered with a towel and puree until smooth.
- Serve over whole-grain pasta, zucchini noodles, or roasted sweet potatoes.
- Cook all ingredients for 30 to 40 minutes over high heat until the lentils are soft.
- Optional: Saute the onions and garlic first.
Note: You can replace the black beluga lentils with another variety, but be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.