Pressure Cooker Method
- Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, lentils, water, onions, garlic, carrots, Italian and poultry seasonings, pepper flakes, and ¼ cup chopped basil into a pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After releasing pressure, mix well, then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste. Finish with the remaining fresh basil and a splash of balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- If you’d prefer a smoother consistency, transfer 2 to 3 cups of the sauce to a blender with a tight-fitting lid covered with a towel and puree until smooth.
- Serve over whole-grain pasta, zucchini noodles, or roasted sweet potatoes.
- Cook all ingredients for 30 to 40 minutes over high heat until the lentils are soft.
- Optional: Saute the onions and garlic first.
Note: You can replace the black beluga lentils with another variety, but be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.