- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 8
- print/save recipe
This rustic vegan carrot cake has a subtly cornbread-like texture thanks to the addition of cornmeal. Cranberries add a punch of color and tartness, and the chocolate ganache is downright decadent. You can garnish the cake with chopped cranberries (optional) for added drama.
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely grated (2 cups)
- ¾ cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (3 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup vegan grain-sweetened chocolate chips (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the base and 2 long sides of a loaf pan with parchment paper, or use a silicone bread pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the milk, carrots, cranberries, maple syrup, and vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Transfer cake pan to a cooling rack to cool for 5 minutes, then remove cake from pan to cool completely.
- To make the Chocolate Ganache, pour about 1 inch of water into a saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat, and then lower the heat to a simmer. Place a mixing bowl over the saucepan, add the chocolate chips, and allow them to gradually melt. Once the chocolate is completely melted, add the milk, and mix well using a whisk or spatula. Remove from heat.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the cake; allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped 2 tablespoons cranberries on top of cake, if desired, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.