- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 sandwiches (3 cups filling + 2 cups slaw)
Jackfruit has a meaty texture that soaks up flavors from an easy homemade barbecue sauce to make this classic-style sandwich. Shredded broccoli and mashed avocado make for a creamy, crunchy slaw.
Note: Canned jackfruit can be full of sodium. Check labels and select the brand with the lowest amount of sodium, or look for frozen jackfruit and thaw before using.
By Shelli McConnell,
- ½ of a small avocado, seeded and peeled
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 cups shredded broccoli slaw mix
- ¼ cup sliced scallions (green onions)
- 1⅓ cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 pitted whole dates
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14-oz. can green jackfruit, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- For slaw, in a large bowl mash together avocado and lime juice. Add broccoli slaw mix and scallions; stir to combine. Cover and let stand while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a blender combine the next six ingredients (through pepper). Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan. Stir in jackfruit and farro. Cover and heat through over medium, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon jackfruit mixture into buns. Top with slaw.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.