- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 burgers
Summer herbs are a treasure trove of flavor, and the bright floral notes of tarragon shine through in this crowd-pleasing burger recipe. Smoky grilled portobellos are layered with fresh spinach, tomato, and a creamy cashew-based tarragon sauce for a meal that will please kids and adults alike. Pair these savory burgers with a handful of Baked French Fries to satisfy all your fast food cravings without the unhealthy ingredients. To make this recipe gluten-free, serve them on certified gluten-free buns.
Tip: To give the mushroom patties a smoky tarragon flavor, dip sprigs of tarragon in water and toss them onto the coals while grilling.
By Shelli McConnell,
- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked in very hot water for 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ to ⅓ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 4 slices tomato
- For sauce, in a blender or small food processor combine soaked, drained cashews with the next four ingredients (through garlic). Cover and blend until smooth, gradually adding plant-based milk until sauce is creamy and spreading consistency. Stir in tarragon. Season with pepper.
- Brush mushrooms with vinegar. Grill mushrooms over medium 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Fill buns with spinach, mushrooms, and tomato slices. Spoon sauce over top. Serve immediately.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.