- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 burgers
- print/save recipe
These grilled chickpea burgers are bulked up with brown rice and quick oats. A topping of fresh garlic aïoli adds a pop of flavor and creamy texture. To soak cashews, place them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 30 minutes; drain
Want to bake burgers instead? Preheat oven to 400°F; line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; and bake about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through (165°F).
- ¼ cup soaked raw cashews (see note, above)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 1 cup chopped stemmed kale
- ½ cup packed fresh basil
- ¼ onion, chopped (¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and liquid (aquafaba) reserved
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup dry quick oats
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 6 leaves butterhead (Boston or Bibb) lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Thinly sliced red onion (optional)
- Make Garlic Aïoli: In a blender or mini food processor combine cashews; onion powder; and 2 cloves of the garlic, halved. Cover and blend until smooth, adding 2 to 4 Tbsp. unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice, to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- For pesto, in a food processor combine the kale, basil, onion, pine nuts, and the remaining 3 cloves garlic, halved. Cover and pulse until very finely chopped.
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl; mash with a fork. In a small bowl combine 2 Tbsp. of the reserved aquafaba and the flaxseed meal. Add to chickpeas along with pesto, brown rice, and oats. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in additional aquafaba if mixture seems dry.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form chickpea mixture into six patties about 3½ inches in diameter. Place on prepared pan. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or freeze 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers over medium 8 to 10 minutes or until well browned and internal temperature is at least 165°F, turning once. Grill buns 1 to 2 minutes to toast. Place burgers on buns; top with lettuce, tomato, and, if desired, red onion. Serve with Garlic Aïoli.