- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 carrot dogs
- print/save recipe
Don’t doubt the deliciousness of carrot dogs until you’ve tasted one. Cooked whole carrots soak up tons of flavor from a smoky marinade. Though these carrot dogs need four hours to marinade, this recipe requires only about 20 minutes of active prep time.
Give these other healthy vegan recipes a try today!
- 8 large carrots
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Dash ground cloves
- 8 whole wheat hot dog buns, toasted if desired
- ½ of a red onion, finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- ½ of a medium cucumber, spiralized
- Peel carrots and trim to 6 inches long. Trim wide end to make a consistent thickness. Place carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Cover pan and bring to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook carrots 8 to 10 minutes, until just tender. Drain well.
- Place carrots in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a bowl combine the next 11 ingredients (through cloves) and ½ cup water. Pour over carrots; seal bag. Chill 4 to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Drain and discard marinade.
- Grill carrots, covered, over medium-high 5 to 8 minutes or until grill marks start to appear, turning occasionally. Or place carrots in a foil-lined baking pan and bake at 450°F 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned on edges.
- Place grilled carrots in buns. Top carrot dogs with red onion, mustard, and cucumber.