- Ready In:
- Serves 2
Hash browns are a comfort food, and they don’t have to be heavily fried to be good. The added garlic makes them irresistible.
By Jason Wyrick,
Nov 2, 2014
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 large kale leaves, shredded
- Pinch of salt
- Option: 2 cups shredded sweet potato instead of Yukon Gold potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. Rinse the shredded potatoes and pat them dry. Toss them with the salt and pepper. Spread the shredded potatoes on a baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat. Bake the shredded potatoes for 10 minutes. Remove the sheet from the oven and toss the potatoes with the minced garlic, then spread them back on the mat. Return them to the oven and bake them 5 more minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, lightly saute the shredded kale over medium heat in a large pan with about ⅛ inch of water and a pinch of salt in it. Do not replenish the water when it evaporates. It is only there to get the kale to quickly wilt. Once the kale has completely softened, about 8 to 10 minutes, set it aside and let it cool until you can comfortably handle it. Squeeze the kale to get rid of excess water, then toss it a bit to separate the cooked shreds.
- Plate the crisped potatoes, top it with the kale, and serve.
Option: Substitute 2 cups shredded sweet potato for the shredded Yukon Gold potatoes.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.