- 1½ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal, lightly crushed
- 12 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 2 sliced bananas
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Optional garnishes: chopped toasted pecans, fresh berries, fresh mint, and/or ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large shallow bowl combine milk, chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, 1 tsp. of the vanilla, and ½ tsp. of the cinnamon; mix well. Let rest 5 minutes. Place cereal in a pie plate.
- Dip bread in plant milk mixture, turning to moisten both sides. Lay bread in cereal and press lightly to adhere to one side. Place bread, cereal side down, in twelve 2½-inch nonstick muffin cups, gently pressing to form a cup. Repeat with the remaining bread.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until French toast cups are browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make Bananas Foster Topping: In a medium saucepan combine bananas, pure maple syrup, orange juice, the remaining ½ tsp. ground cinnamon, and a dash of ground nutmeg. Bring to boiling over medium-high; reduce to low. Simmer 5 minutes until bananas are soft. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Carefully remove French toast cups from muffin cups. Fill with Bananas Foster Topping. Sprinkle with optional garnishes. Serve immediately.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.