- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 muffins
- print/save recipe
Start your morning on a sweet note with these tantalizing vegan cinnamon muffins from Dreena Burton. A blend of spelt and oat flours creates a fluffy texture that locks in the warming flavors of cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup, while raisins add pockets of natural sweetness throughout the batter. Vegan yogurt ensures a perfectly moist end result, but the best part of these baked goodies is the cinnamon-sugar date paste topping. Sprinkled on top just before going in the oven, this gooey, melt-in-your-mouth garnish is the perfect whole-food, plant-based way to enjoy a cinnamon roll without all the processed ingredients. Enjoy this recipe as a light breakfast, an afternoon snack, or dessert!
Recipe by Dreena Burton for forksmealplanner.com
For more vegan muffin recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- 1½ cups spelt flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup plain vegan yogurt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons pure cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line twelve 2½-inch muffin cups with paper liners or use silicone muffin cups. In a large bowl combine flours, 1½ teaspoons of the cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Sift baking powder and baking soda into bowl; mix well.
- In a medium bowl stir together the next five ingredients (through vanilla). Add to flour mixture. Stir just until flour is moistened. (Do not overmix.) Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl stir together dates, sugar, and the remaining 1 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon salt. Rub mixture together with your fingertips until small clumps form. Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons date mixture over batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake 20 minutes or until muffins are set to the touch. Let stand in cups 10 minutes. Remove muffins from cups and cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with any remaining date mixture.