- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 3¼ cups
This luscious bao bun filling is one of three stuffing recipes you can use for our fluffy whole wheat vegan bao buns. In this option, colorful strands of stir-fried zucchini and carrot add nourishing bulk and flavor to the crumbled tofu base. A little sweet and a little savory, every bite is moist and punctuated with the aromas of scallion and garlic. You know it’s delicious when you can eat it straight from the bowl!
Tip: To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute the vegetarian oyster sauce/soy sauce for tamari.
For more vegan bao bun recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Five-Spice Kabocha Squash Bao Bun Filling
- Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushroom Bao Bun Filling
- Vegan Bao Buns
By Hannah Che,
- 1 medium zucchini or other summer squash, finely shredded (2 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 14-oz. package extra-firm tofu, squeezed to remove liquid and coarsely crumbled
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, finely julienned or shredded (½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a bowl toss zucchini with salt; set aside 10 minutes. Spread zucchini on a clean kitchen towel. Gather ends of the towel together, hold the bundle over the sink, and twist the towel tightly to squeeze out excess moisture. (Don’t rinse off the salt.) Return to bowl.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add tofu; cook 5 minutes or until tofu starts sticking and lightly browning, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl with zucchini.
- In the same skillet combine scallions and garlic; cook over medium-high until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add carrot; cook 2 minutes more or until carrot softens slightly, stirring constantly. Transfer to bowl with tofu. Add sugar and oyster sauce. Stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Use filling in our vegan bao bun recipe. Alternatively, ladle into lettuce cups or serve over brown rice.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.