This crowd-pleasing sweet potato casserole features layered sweet potatoes, savory vegan cream sauce, and herbed mushroom stuffing. It makes for a delicious main course, especially when accompanied by a hearty soup or stew like our Autumn Lima Bean Stew.
By Darshana Thacker,
IngredientsSavory Cream Sauce
- ½ cup cashews
- 1½ cups plant-based milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ¼-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 pound mushrooms, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (12 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon (2–3 sprigs) finely chopped fresh rosemary (or ½ tablespoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon (5–6 sprigs) finely chopped fresh thyme (or ½ tablespoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup fresh or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives, divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Soak the cashews in ½ cup hot water for 10 minutes. Transfer the cashews and their soaking water to a blender. Add the milk, oat flour, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend into a smooth sauce.
- Steam sweet potatoes in a steamer insert set over a pan of boiling water, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. You might need to do this in batches.
- Meanwhile, place the onions, mushrooms, and garlic in a large, dry skillet, and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. (There is no need to add water; the mushroom will release enough liquid to cook the vegetables without them sticking to the pan.) Add the rosemary, thyme, and vinegar, and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and add the breadcrumbs, cranberries, half of the chives, and the salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread ½ cup of Savory Cream Sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish. Place a layer of the potatoes over it. Spread a liberal amount of stuffing over the potatoes and drizzle another ½ cup of sauce. Repeat with the rest of the potatoes, another liberal layer of the stuffing and a generous drizzle of sauce. Sprinkle the remaining filling as the final layer.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is brown and crumbly.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with remaining fresh chives.
- Serve with the remaining Savory Cream Sauce, warmed up, on the side. You may need to add water if the sauce is too thick.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.