- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 2 cups dry polenta
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 7 cups)
- 1 medium onion, diced (2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup oat flour
- 2 (15-ounce) cans brown lentils, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
- 1 (16-ounce) bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (plus more for garnish)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- For topping, in a large saucepan combine vegetable stock and milk. Bring to boiling over medium-high. In a medium bowl mix polenta, nutritional yeast, salt, baking soda, and black pepper. Slowly add polenta mixture to saucepan, whisking constantly to break up any clumps. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring frequently for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and polenta is creamy.
- For filling, in a separate saucepan combine mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until the liquid released by the mushrooms has cooked off, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add bay leaves, oregano, thyme, and 1½ cups vegetable stock. Cook over medium-low 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Using an immersion blender, pulse to break mushrooms into smaller pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oat flour and ¼ cup of water; add to mushroom mixture. Add lentils, frozen vegetables, vinegar, parsley, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Spread mixture evenly into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with a smooth layer of polenta.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until polenta begins to turn golden brown. Garnish with parsley. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.