- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes about 3 ½ cups
Toasted pecans and currants are a nice change on this traditional holiday recipe. The earthy nuts and the tart fruit really brightens up the otherwise ordinary stuffing. Replace half of the whole grain bread with your favorite whole grain cornbread recipe, or add fresh chopped apples for another twist on this dish.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Del Sroufe,
- 6 cups firmly packed diced whole grain bread
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1½ teaspoons fresh minced sage
- 1½ teaspoons fresh minced rosemary
- Sea salt to taste
- ½ cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- ½ cup currants
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1¼ - 1¾ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Place the diced bread on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion and celery over medium heat for 8 to 9 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking. Add the bread cubes and the onion mixture to a mixing bowl with the sage, rosemary, salt to taste, pecans, currants and black pepper. Mix well and drizzle the vegetable broth over the mixture to moisten.
- Transfer the mixture to a non-stick baking pan and refrigerate 1 hour for the bread crumbs to soak up all the broth.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned and still slightly moist.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.