- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
This nourishing Polenta Curry is perfect for a chilly night or anytime you’re looking for a hearty, starchy stew. Polenta—i.e., coarsely ground corn—makes a tasty, satisfying, and versatile base for a range of dishes. Look for polenta alongside other whole grains or in the pasta and rice section of supermarkets.
Want to get this dish on the table in just 30 minutes? You can use precooked tube-style polenta instead of making your own. Cut it into 1-inch cubes and skip straight to Step 3.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- Pinch + ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1½ teaspoons lime juice
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- For polenta, in a large saucepan bring 3½ cups water to boiling. Add ½ teaspoon of the turmeric, the caraway seeds, and the pinch salt. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Add polenta to pan in a slow stream, whisking continuously to prevent lumps from forming. Cook 5 minutes, whisking continuously. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover pan and simmer about 15 minutes more or until polenta is the consistency of thick porridge.
- Spread polenta evenly in a 2-quart square baking dish. Let cool to room temperature, then chill 1 hour. Cut chilled polenta into 1-inch cubes.
- For curry, in a blender or food processor combine tomatoes, onion, raisins, coriander, cumin, curry powder, cayenne, the ¼ teaspoon salt, and the remaining ½ teaspoon turmeric. Cover and blend until mixture is a smooth paste. Transfer paste to a skillet; cook on high 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3 cups water; cook 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly and turns a brighter red.
- To the tomato mixture in the skillet add polenta cubes, peas, lime juice, and salt to taste. Cook 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce thickens and polenta puffs a bit from absorbing the sauce. Do not overcook or polenta will fall apart. Taste and adjust seasoning. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.