- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 bowls
When you’re craving Mexican food but are short on time, these colorful salad bowls come together in a flash. Start with a base of brown rice and black beans, and then pile on fresh ingredients such as crunchy bell peppers, sweet mangoes, and tangy red onion to create a rainbow feast. Choose a perfectly ripe avocado to make the fabulous creamy avocado-lime dressing that tops it all off.
Note that this recipe calls for cooked brown rice, so be sure to have that ready to go.
By Shelli McConnell,
- ½ of a small avocado, pitted and peeled
- ⅓ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 ⅔ cups cooked brown rice (hot or cold)
- 2 fresh mangoes, halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed or sliced (2 cups)
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped red or orange bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- Thinly sliced fresh jalapeño chile (optional)
- Lime wedges
- For dressing, in a blender or small food processor combine the first five ingredients (through salt). Cover and blend until smooth.
- In bowls arrange rice, mangoes, beans, and bell pepper. Drizzle with avocado dressing. Top with cilantro, onion, and jalapeño (if using). Serve with lime wedges.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.