- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- 8 cups + 3 cups chutney
- print/save recipe
Sweet and savory notes hit a perfect harmony in this Indian-inspired dish. If you have any leftover jammy chutney, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. Use it as a topping for any grain bowl.
Note that this recipe calls for cooked farro, so be sure to have that ready to go. For cook times, see our Grains Cooking Guide.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered, divided
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. date paste
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- Dash ground cloves
- Dash cayenne pepper
CURRIED CHICKPEAS AND FARRO
- 1 12-oz. pkg. fresh or frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ to ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked farro (from 1 cup dry)
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For Strawberry Chutney: Set aside 1 cup of the strawberries. Then combine remaining chutney ingredients in a 2- to 3-qt. saucepan. Cover and bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Uncover and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until chutney is very soft and has a jamlike consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in the reserved hulled and quartered strawberries. Set aside.
- In a 4- to 5-qt. pot cook cauliflower, bell pepper, onion, and garlic over medium 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding broth, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add farro, garbanzo beans, curry powder, cumin, and enough broth to keep moist.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until hot and vegetables are tender (165°F). Remove ¾ tsp. zest and squeeze 2 Tbsp. juice from lime. Stir the lime zest and juice and ¼ cup of the cilantro into vegetables. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve Strawberry Chutney over farro mixture. Garnish with remaining 2 Tbsp. cilantro.