- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 cups
- print/save recipe
This vibrant, verdant chilled soup is surprisingly easy to make: Beyond submerging the peas in boiling water for a minute, it requires no cooking. To achieve the best flavor and avoid bitterness, we recommend using a mix of different spring greens.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 cups (8 to 10 oz. by weight) assorted spring greens (spinach, arugula, baby chard, and/or baby kale)
- 1 medium cucumber (9 to 10 oz.), halved, seeded, and chopped
- ½ of an avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup very thin radish matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- Crispbread crackers (optional)
- In a small heatproof bowl place peas and enough boiling water to cover. Let stand 1 minute; drain well. In a blender combine peas, spring greens, cucumber, avocado, the lemon juice, and broth. Cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Season with pepper. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- For gremolata, in a small bowl combine parsley, radishes, chives, and the lemon zest. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Before serving, stir milk into soup. Top servings with gremolata. Serve with crackers.