- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 7 cups
- print/save recipe
Traditional Vietnamese pho uses rice noodles to soak up the flavorful broth, but this plant-based remix substitutes tender strands of spaghetti squash for a veggie-forward version that’s equally delicious. Shiitake mushrooms and warming spices add a rich depth of flavor to the soup while soy-marinated tofu slabs add substance to the lightness of this dish. Top each bowl with a colorful assortment of garnishes such as edamame, carrots, radishes, and scallions for the full-on pho experience!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 3-inch piece fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced
- 4 leaves Thai basil, plus additional for garnish
- 6 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 heads baby bok choy, sliced (8 oz.)
- 4 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- ½ of a 12-oz. package extra-firm silken tofu, cut into four ¼-inch-thick slabs
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy or tamari sauce
- 1 cup shelled edamame, steamed
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- ½ cup slivered radishes
- ½ cup slivered scallions
- Lime wedges
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Scoop seeds out of spaghetti squash. Place, cut sides down, in a 2-quart square baking dish. (Squash halves will overlap slightly.) Microwave 5 to 8 minutes or until starting to soften. (Squash will not be fully tender at this point.) Cool until easy to handle. Use a fork to scrape pulp into a 4- to 6-quart pot.
- Place ginger, turmeric, basil, garlic, and peppercorns on a double-thick 8-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring up corners and tie closed with 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Add to pot with broth and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, adding bok choy and mushrooms the last 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium- high. Toss tofu slabs with soy sauce. Sear tofu in hot skillet 2 minutes per side or until browned and crisp on edges.
- Remove and discard seasoning bag from pot, squeezing with tongs to remove liquid.
- Serve squash mixture in bowls topped with tofu, edamame, carrots, radishes, scallions, and additional Thai basil. Serve with lime wedges and, if desired, sriracha sauce and cracked black pepper.