- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 cups of vegetable broth (homemade or low sodium)
- 4 15 ounce cans of black beans, low sodium (or 7 cups cooked) undrained
- 1 15 ounce can of whole sweet corn, drained (salt free, unsweetened)
- 1 14.5 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes, diced (I use Muir Glen Organics)
- 4 teaspoons roasted cumin (or regular cumin)
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbamare or salt (to taste)
- Juice of 1 small lime
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped to garnish
- In a large pot, sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic in 1 cup of vegetable broth over medium heat for 6-7 minutes. Add chipotle chili powder, roasted cumin, and black pepper and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the remaining vegetable broth, 4 cups (or 2.5 cans) of beans, and sweet corn. Turn to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add remaining 3 cups (or 1.5 cans) of beans and crushed tomatoes to a Vitamix or blender and process until smooth. Stir into soup when boiling, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes until beans and vegetables are done to your desired tenderness.
- Taste test. Add Herbamare or salt to taste and lime juice.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!