- Ready In:
- Makes 8 cups
Allspice, a hallmark seasoning in Jamaican cooking, plays a starring role in this vegan Jamaican Green Pea and Spinach Stew recipe that’s studded with chunks of orange and gold root vegetables. For a super-hearty meal, serve this stew over a bowl of steamed brown rice or your favorite whole grain.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 cup dried peas
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces sweet potato
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces yellow yam
- 1 cup sliced onion
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tbsp dried thyme, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooked brown rice
- In a medium saucepan combine dried peas and 4 cups water. Bring mixture to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until tender (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven combine vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, yellow yam, sliced onions, carrots, green onions, thyme, garlic, serrano pepper, and allspice. Bring mixture to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas and their cooking liquid to vegetable mixture. Stir in spinach. Simmer 15 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve over rice.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.