- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6½ cups soup + ¾ cup relish
The mango relish for this Caribbean-inspired soup adds a bright and extra spicy element thanks to the habanero chile. Be careful when handling this hot but fruity pepper: Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes; wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Note that this recipe calls for hot cooked brown rice, so be sure to have that ready to go.
By Nancy Macklin,
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15-oz. cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into ½-inch pieces (1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh or thawed frozen mango
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 finely chopped fresh habanero chile (see tip in recipe intro)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large pot cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic over medium 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add the next six ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Meanwhile, make Mango Relish. In a small bowl stir together mango, scallion, cilantro, and habanero chile.
- Season soup with salt and black pepper. Serve soup over brown rice and top with Mango Relish.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.