- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 6-8
Two popular vegetarian soups of Central Africa were the inspiration for this stew. In this region, sweet potatoes, beans, chili peppers, onions, ginger, garlic and peanuts are common ingredients. The peanut butter makes this a creamy stew, but there is only a small amount per serving. To decrease the richness serve over a whole grain or use only ¼ cup of peanut butter. Feel free to kick up the heat by using jalapeno pepper or more red pepper flakes.
By Katie Mae,
- ½ cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) Anaheim or jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, ground
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons coriander, ground
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 yams, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 24 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 14 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup almond or peanut butter, unsweetened
- 1½ cup corn
- 6 cups collards, chopped
- In a large pot, sauté onion and pepper with water for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally
- Add ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander and red pepper.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Mix in yams, vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans and nut butter.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in corn and collards and cook for about 10 more minutes, until yams and greens are tender.
- Serve over brown rice or other whole grain.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.