- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 6
Back in the day, if you wanted to make chili, you needed to plan on some serious time in a hot kitchen while the stew simmered on the stove. Now, thanks to slow cookers and multicookers like the Instant Pot, that’s no longer the case. These ultra-dependable small appliances mean you can get all the goodness of a long-simmered chili with minimal time in the kitchen. Summer bonus: the kitchen stays cool. What’s more, the slow heat lets you combine the soaking and cooking steps for the chili beans, so everything can be done all at once. You won’t be sorry you tried this slow cooker chili.
This recipe is ideal for busy weeknights when you want to come home to a hot meal. It’s also open to endless variations when you doctor it up with spices or add other vegetables.
Recipe from drmcdougall.com
- 2 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1-ounce packet vegetarian chili seasoning, such as Simply Organic, or chili seasonings of your choice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
- Toppings such as chopped bell pepper, sliced green onions, and/or snipped fresh cilantro
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, onion, seasoning, and garlic. Add the stock and water.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 4 to 5 hours; stir in the corn for the last 15 minutes. Serve with toppings.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.