Ideal for when you’re nursing a cold, or anytime you want something warm and comforting, this flavorful vegan noodle soup comes together in just 30 minutes. The recipe features fresh spinach and brown rice spaghetti, but feel free to substitute your favorite greens for the spinach and any whole-grain pasta for the brown rice spaghetti. Fusilli or penne would work nicely too! This soup is delicious leftover, but it will thicken as it cools. Keep extra vegetable broth on hand to thin it out when reheating.
By Ashley Madden,
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (more if you like spice)
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 ounces uncooked brown rice spaghetti (½ pound)
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (drained)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½–¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Combine the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes in a large soup pot; add ⅓ cup of water, and sauté over medium-high heat until the onions soften, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add more water as needed to prevent burning.
- Stir in the brown rice flour. Continue to cook on medium heat, stirring constantly for another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, crack the spaghetti noodles in half and add them to the pot. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook, partially covered, for another 12 minutes. Add the cooked chickpeas and continue to simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach, and cook for 1 more minute, just until the spinach is wilted. Turn off the heat, add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Depending on the vegetable broth you use, you may need more or less salt. Serve hot.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.