- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 1½ cups
- print/save recipe
This plant-based pâté gets its meaty texture from brown lentils and walnuts, with sautéed garlic and onion, a dash of lemon juice, and a handful of seasonings adding depth of flavor. Serve this simple, satisfying vegan appetizer with whole grain crackers or mini toasts and crudités.
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1½ cups cooked brown lentils
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a medium skillet cook onion, garlic, oregano, and ¼ cup water over medium-low 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add the next five ingredients (through salt and black pepper). Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in cilantro. If desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper.