- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 6 to 8
Get the party started with this hearty vegan hummus recipe featuring the flavors of acorn squash and a hint of curry. For a festive presentation, use the scooped-out squash shell as a serving bowl for your hummus, and surround it with your favorite crudités and/or crackers for dipping. This recipe is the featured appetizer in our 2017 Forks Thanksgiving menu. Click here to view the entire vegan Thanksgiving menu and download a mini e-cookbook of all the recipes.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 small acorn squash (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into ¼-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced (6 cloves)
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Assorted fresh vegetables, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice about one-third off the top of the acorn squash so you can use the lower portion as a deep serving bowl for the hummus. Clear out the seeds, and place the top and bottom pieces of squash face-down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Set squash aside until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out the squash flesh from both pieces, being careful not to break the shell of the larger piece.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion, garlic, curry powder, and ½ cup water in a sauté pan, for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to the bowl of a food processor; add chickpeas, scooped-out squash flesh, lemon juice, tahini, and parsley. Blend to a smooth consistency, add salt and pepper to taste, and blend again briefly to incorporate.
- Scoop hummus back into the acorn squash shell, and serve with crudités or crackers.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.