- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 5 cups
The tropical root vegetable yuca (sometimes labeled as cassava) adds satisfying starchiness to this chopped salad. Jalapeño adds a touch of spiciness; to further dial up the heat, include some of the jalapeño seeds.
Note: Raw yuca contains toxins which are concentrated in the skin, so always peel and cook the root before eating it.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lb. yuca, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh kale
- 2 cups chopped peeled English cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions (green onions)
- ½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In a pot combine baking soda and 10 cups water; bring to boiling. Add yuca and cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until yuca is tender; drain. Place yuca in a bowl; let cool.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.