- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 cups
- print/save recipe
This veganized version of a New York–style Waldorf salad is packed full of traditional ingredients but adds chewy barley to deliver extra hunger-busting heft. Apples, celery, raisins, and barley are coated in a creamy tofu-based mayo that gets a dash of savory warmth from pumpkin pie spice, while a sprinkling of walnuts delivers the familiar crunch of this deli-counter classic. Fresh chopped parsley adds a tasty herbal finish to the dish, but you could swap it for dill or basil if you like. Serve our vegan Waldorf salad in Bibb lettuce cups for extra style points and watch how quickly this refreshing recipe disappears.
For more grain-forward salads, check out these tasty ideas:
- 4 red and green apples, cored and chopped
- 4 cups cooled cooked barley
- 3 stalks celery, diagonally sliced
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ of a 12-oz. package soft silken tofu
- ½ cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bibb lettuce leaves (optional)
- Pumpkin pie spice, chopped fresh parsley, and/or 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a large bowl combine apples, barley, celery, and raisins. In a small food processor or blender combine the next seven ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Process until smooth. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Season with salt and black pepper.
- If you like, serve salad in Bibb lettuce leaf cups and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice, parsley, and/or walnuts.